Sunday, July 10, 2016

Maine Thing

A few months back I had the opportunity to go to Maine for work.  I had been there once before but it was a very quick visit and I didn't get to see anything.  This time I figured I would correct that and stay for the weekend and do some exploring.  I have never really done much exploring on my own, especially this far from home, not because I haven't wanted to but it just always worked out to go exploring with friends and family.  To say solo travel was a bit outside of my comfort zone would be a fair statement, but when in Maine! Since it was the National Park Services 100th anniversary and the 100th anniversary of Acadia National Park I knew that I had to visit, it was just meant to be. Plus it was only a 3 hour drive from where I was in Portland and who knows when I would be back, so that just made my decision even easier.

Before heading north to Acadia I was told my numerous co-workers that I needed to check out the Portland Headlamp in Cape Elizabeth.  It is probably one of the most photographed lighthouses on the east coast and it really didn't disappoint but maybe not for the reasons you think. I got to the lighthouse fairly early on a Saturday morning before most of the crowds would show up, remember I still had a 3 hour drive ahead of me. The place was pretty much deserted except for a few locals that were walking the cliffs with their dogs and a few other brave tourists like myself.  I took this opportunity to enjoy the sounds of the water crashing on the rocks and listen to the birds sing in the early morning light. After taking a walk along the cliffs and a little jaunt down to the rocks below I headed back to the parking lot ready to make my way up the coast.

More on that in the days to come...













 

No comments:

Post a Comment